The San Antonio Insane Asylum
The San Antonio Insane Asylum opened on April 6, 1892 as “The South-western Insane Asylum”. The State of Texas funded the project for a state of the art (at the time) mental institution. The site, on the south side of San Antonio, occupied 640 acres and was capable of handling 500 patients. Over the years it became politically incorrect to refer to these patients as “insane” or “lunatics” as they had in the past. The name of the hospital was then changed to the San Antonio State Hospital. Over the time the hospital was renovated and by 1940, the population grew to 2,732 patients and employed 450 people. Even at this time, only white patients were admitted. It wasn’t until 1964 that the first black patient was treated at the hospital.
Click on the Next Page to Continue Reading.